Sunday, June 25, 2017

And then.....

A young man with a face beaming with delight came to an aged Professor of a distinguished continental University, whom he had known as a boy and informed him that his parents had given their consent to his studying the profession of the law. As the University presided over by his friend was a distinguished one, he had resolved to spare no labor or expense in getting through his studies as quickly and ably as possible. He spoke with excitement for some time; and when he paused, the old man, who had been listening to him with great patience and kindness, gently said, "Well! and when you have finished your study, what do you mean to do then?" "Then I shall take my degree," answered the young man. "And then?" asked his venerable friend. "And then," continued the youth, "I shall have a number of difficult cases to manage and I shall attract notice by my eloquence, and wit, and acuteness, and win a great reputation." "And then?" repeated the professor. "And then!" replied the youth, "why then there cannot be a question- I shall be promoted to some high office in the state, and I shall become rich." "And then?" "And then," continued the young student, "then I shall live comfortably and honorably in wealth and respect, and look forward to a quiet and happy old age." "And then?" repeated the old man. "And then," said the youth, "and then- and then- and then I shall die." Here his venerable listener lifted up his voice, and again asked, with solemnity and emphasis– "And then?" Whereupon the aspiring student made no answer, but cast down his head, and in silence and thoughtfulness with no response to this last "And then?" You want to see God laugh, tell him you long term plans. A couple of months ago I was blessed with a new knee. For those of you who have prayed for me and for this to happen, you pray real good. But, regardless of what medically is done during my life, though, at some point I am going to die…and then? Fortunately, that question was answered for me in an upper room two thousand years ago when Jesus gathered with his disciples around a table said, as often as you eat of this bread and drink of this cup, you proclaim my death until I come again. Jesus sacrificed his life on a rough wooden cross as a sin offering so that I might be forgiven of sin and can stand in the presence of a Holy and Righteous God. Because of the promise he made during that last supper together and his resurrection, I am not concerned with the question….and then? I have the confidence of knowing where I shall spend my eternity. If you have accepted Christ sacrifice and made him your Lord, we ask you join us during communion.

No comments:

Post a Comment